Sunday, December 20, 2009

I have social anxiety and need advice on how to find and build a real and meaningful friendship.?

It's quite possible that nothing is as real or meaningful as you would like to think. Perhaps you should be satisfied with entertaining and pleasant instead. Then maybe you will later accidentally notice that things are real and meaningful later.





Deep down, I think maybe us social phobics have all been hurt in the past. We're subtly pushing people away or even totally avoiding them. I'm pretty good at both. Feeling close, however, is just a feeling. Friendship is more like an alliance: it happens out of convenience and shared interests. It's that simple. Granted, you can be evasive, but that's the point where you choose between evasion and engaging them - usually in conversation. I sure don't mean a ring or anything... Hehe. sorry. Had to work that last pun in there to fit my Halloween ';costume.';I have social anxiety and need advice on how to find and build a real and meaningful friendship.?
i am struggling with the same thing! for me it's not extreme to the point where i sweat and hyperventilate and so forth, but i have a very hard time making friends, cuz it's so hard for me to initiate conversation, and just talk to someone i don't usually talk to. currently, i'm talking with my school counselor (who also happens to be my advisor and teacher), and that has helped a lot. and tonight, our school is having an activity and i think i'm actually gonna go. i was invited by my rm and her friend, so i'm trying to take oppurtunities to get out and meet new people as they come. i'll always hold to the idea that it's better to have a couple of really close friends as opposed to so many friends who you're not ~that~ close to. so if you feel comfy around the person, then that's great...just try to keep the convo going and say hi whenever you see each other afterwards. basically, just try to form a bond with someone who you feel comfy around. i know it can be so hard, but it really is worth it to have a friend. all my friends transferred to different schools, so now i just have my bf. it may sound like it's all bliss, but it's not because he wants me to have friends who are here. so i'm trying to get out and make at least a couple new friends. not just for him, but for me too, cuz it does get lonely especially when he is out doing his thing with his boys. and if you have a bf or get one, it's great to show him you have confidence and that you're not relying solely on him for entertainment and good times. there needs to be a balance of bf and friends. i've learned that the hard way, cuz it has caused lots of drama in my relationship, which is one reason i'm really trying to step out of my comfort zone. so if you do the same i'm sure it will become easier and easier for you each time and soon you'll have a friend. i'm hoping i can make a friend! well good luck to you, and if you ever need any help or advice, feel free to contact me. and best of luck to you!I have social anxiety and need advice on how to find and build a real and meaningful friendship.?
I know where you are coming from, what my therapist keeps telling me to go out and make yourself known, volunteer at a community theater to help move scenery, take up a hobby that is interesting,take a class at library, take little steps and when you feel overwhelmed step back and try again, have a friend you know go with you





fake it till you make it,believe me there are alot of people out there just like us

No comments:

Post a Comment